Friday, May 15, 2009

Uniting Music

Starting to talk about the Rastafari movement got me thinking about music in religion. I think that many people think of Bob Marley and reggae music when Rastafari is mentioned. There is so much connection to religion and music, and we've talked about it some with the psalms. I think part of the reason music is so important in religion (some more than others) is its ability to bring people together. Bob Marley and reggae is a perfect example. Maybe music became so important because there is no real central organization to Rastas. Community is a huge part of religion and music helps create community so music and religion go together. I like the music aspect of religion because of the fact that it brings people together. There are things about religion that tear people apart, that create conflict, that turn people against each other and kill each other. But music, especially if you listen to some of Bob Marley's songs, promote love and harmony. It promotes human rights and taking a place in the world, but not through conflict and war. It is also something that I think everyone can enjoy. I am not a Rastafarian, I don't even believe in God, but I still enjoy music written about or inspired by God and religion.



4 comments:

  1. I agree, bringing people together is one of the key features of religious music. I think also music is a way for people to express themselves (feelings, politics etc.) without everyone else making it personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music as some put it is "food for the soul" and it's very true it serves as unifying medium. Even the bible talks about how the great wall of Jericho collapsed just by singing and playing of trumpets by Gods' people.I also agree that it could very much destroy an entire nation when its used in form of retaliation and response to to ethical,political, or religious issues.Music is good, fun and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting insight :) I also like the idea that music creates harmony that can sometimes not be achieved by religion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!Love it! Music plays a big role in everything!

    ReplyDelete