Friday, May 1, 2009

Rise of Atheism

I was reading the New York Times the other day and came across this article called More Atheists Shout It From the Rooftops. I thought it was interesting and reminded me of a post Anne put up a while ago. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the organization of atheists and humanists though. On the one hand, I think it's a really good thing because organized people have more power and influence. Also, people with the same or similar beliefs have some place to talk about it and feel comfortable with people like them. People are social, we need to feel like we belong somewhere. However, I'm a little hesitant because I think with groups and organization can come problems and conflict. If the humanist and atheist groups stay true to their purpose and stay open and willing to discuss, I'm all for this. But if people start thinking of themselves as better for whatever reason, or get into arguments about who is right and are not respectful or open to others views, I don't think it's as good of a thing anymore.

At the end of the article, there is some discussion of Pastafarians and I liked what the leaders said their goal was, "not confrontation, or even winning converts, but changing the public’s stereotype of atheists." Because earlier in the article, there are polls which "continue to show that atheists are ranked lower than any other minority or religious group when Americans are asked whether they would vote for or approve of their child marrying a member of that group." Apparently people still think that atheists have no morals or something? But anyway, I like the idea that they are trying to change people's views, without degrading them about their beliefs, just simply trying to find a place in the world.

4 comments:

  1. i could agree more witht hte aspect of groups that could cause problem but like you said if the keep an open mind im all for it too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this article too. Harris is definitely one of these new more vocal atheists. I totally agree with you that if atheism turns into another orthodoxy, then it seems to lose its allure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very interesting blog. I never really thought of atheist as being a group that were looked down upon. Its interesting to look at things that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Never knew Atheists were ranked the lowest in terms of parental approval to marry. I never thought it was that big of a deal; apparently it is.Interesting article.

    ReplyDelete