Friday, May 22, 2009

Similarities of Music and Religion

So in our class discussions, we've been talking some about how religion gets borrowed and interpreted and changed through you picks it up. I've never really thought about it this way, I used to not like that religion's would borrow aspects because I thought that it was almost like lying. A religion's trying to say that they're right about their faith, but then what they base their religion on is parts of other religions and I thought that was kinda cheap. But from this class and talking about it, I see religion differently, not looking at just the faith side, but the social side and how it's used.

Because of this, and looking at the Rastarian faith, I noticed how music is similar to religion. In my last free post, I also write about music and religion, so I figured I'd go on about that. Music is also similar to religion in the way it evolves. We talked about people borrowing stories or ideas and making them their own in religion. This also happens in music, which was talked about a bit in the Rastafari book. People build on previous music genres, change it to fit their lives or positions or whatever, and create something new. I think it's interesting to find parallels between music genres and see how something might have been adapted from something else. And I've always considered that a good thing, a sharing and borrowing of ideas that creates something new. Rastas are a great example because that religion did both of these things; borrowed and changed religious aspects and created a new musical form based on others.

I tried to find a video to illustrate this and this was the best I found, plus it includes Bob Marley.


No comments:

Post a Comment